Monday 4 May 2015

Researching Games that are similar to my idea.

As my level will feature just one corridor with lead off rooms I looked to other games to see where I could take influence in my design. I could only think of a few games that fit the bill and I have played only a few ones like this. As I was struggling to find some I went to our years Facebook group and thanks to my fellow Students and companion Lets Player I now have a big list of influences.



Vanish, 
Maere: When Lights Die,
SCP 087 The Stairwell
Ao/Kuro Oni, 
Kraven Manor
Monstrum
Nox Timore
Presentable Liberty

These are the games I am looking at further to help me pin down what I want.

SLENDER
http://slendergame.com/

Slender is a first person horror game created by Parsec Productions where your only goal is to find 8 manuscripts about the Slender Man, a paranormal creature. The more directly you come into contact with the Slender Man, the faster your sanity drains.

THE CORRIDOR
http://thecorridor.3dn.ru/ (russian txt)

Ever been freaked out by an empty hotel hallway, especially late at night? Is that bucket of ice really worth leaving the security of your room? In Al-exe's first-person horror The Corridor, players wake up from a sense of unexplained anxiety, leave their room, and find themselves in a dark, long hallway. The hotel slowly turns into an endless maze of walls that forebode something sinister. They then must go deeper into the darkness to escape.

BABY BLUES.
http://www.desura.com/games/baby-blues
http://wowpain.wix.com/babyblues

Baby Blues is a horror survival game where the player is placed in the shoes of Tommy The Toddler. Tommy, as all the other children his age loves to play with toys, but the most beloved toys for Tommy are his teddies. The 5-year-old wakes up to a strange noise in the middle of the night with a bright dim light shining in his eyes. Realizing his beloved teddies are missing; He climbs down out of bed and start to look for them..

SILENT HILLS: PT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Hills
((No game link as on PlayStation store and has since been removed))

P.T. begins with an unknown protagonist waking up in a mysterious house which eventually becomes haunted in a first-person gameplay style. The demo showcases the realistic graphics of the Fox Engine. The demo intentionally features no blatant Silent Hill references (aside from "Lisa" written on a wall), as to not prematurely expose the reveal. At the end of the demo, the protagonist wakes up in Silent Hill.

INSERT TITLE HERE
http://www.moddb.com/games/insert-title-here

This "game" hasn't got any story or plot, any characters, any enemies ... "Insert Title Here" is an interactive experiment in which you will decide what path to choose, how to react ... something innovative which is always nice to try. This experiment will play with you, "talk" with you and put you into a mix of various game genres.

All of these games have a similar theme to them, dark corridors that seem to go on forever (with slender you are directed around via a path and trees acting almost as a corridor, the areas are dark and intimidating especially as a child character in Baby Blues Out of all the games I feel that Insert Title here is one I find that suits what I'm doing, its very psychological and features the corridor and doesn't offer you anywhere to go except forward. It also forces you to make choices!

I also really love P.T having played it it definitely done what it intended to do, scared the pants off of me! I really like the way it looks!





"In an interview, Kojima later mentioned that P.T. was intended to take players at least a week to find the solution and expressed surprise that it was finished on the same day as its release. He chose the corridor as the setting of P.T. instead of "a ruin", because he wanted the teaser to emotionally affect the player regardless of "cultural background". Kojima wanted fear from an inescapable world with very minimal information to affect the player."

This is what I want to achieve in my level, that a corridor has no culture or identity behind it, therefor it would be more relate-able to the player in that it could be their corridor or a family members they are following.

No comments:

Post a Comment