Thursday 17 April 2014

Turrets and Onion Domes

I have started a few drawings and colour tests for the onion dones and the turret colours to see how the colours will look with darker brickwork as I was told by my tutor that this could be a tricky thing to pull off depending on how dark I made my castle with the ideas I had.

I started by creating a 2D basic onion dome then tried a couple of colours, tried a golden dome, then tried a coloured one. I like the idea of having the two different styles as across Easteren Europe they have different variations of the domes.



Trying out different styles of Onion dome, with the panels that are different colours and bump out more. The golden one will be completely flat round with no features sticking out.


I tried drawing a perspective view of the bridge linking the turrets. I like the thought of the turrets actually being used as part of the castle, I'm thinking of these being the four separate torture chambers, so each of these will have different stained glass colourings to reflect these different rooms of torture.


I like the bright colours with the sandy coloured rock. I want to use a darker version of Limestone such as Volcanic Limestone. There is a Volcano called Kara Dag Mountain which rises to a height of 577 meters between the Crimean coastal town of Koktebel.


Practising here trying to work out how to draw the ice-cream cone style domes, it was more complicated than I thought so I don't know if I'm going to be able to replicate those in Maya with my skill level. Maybe I will be able to do these as flat domes and then place a pattern on the top that is shaded to look 3D.


Tried another view of the castle in photoshop. I might add an extra turret and dome in the center that will be the golden one.


Then I got bored and started drawing a face and got distracted so decided that was it for the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment